Monday, February 2, 2009

My wonderful, strong Papa passed away early this morning

I am heartbroken. I feel like I can't think. My Papa is a strong Marine. In his last days, he was on hospice care in his home with my mom taking care of his every need. She was helped by my two uncles. It has been so hard not to be there to take care of him like I did for my perfect Grammie, but since we are hoping to adopt a baby that is due any time now, I could not risk leaving. That was a excruciating decision to have to make, but a few days ago my Papa told my mom he did not want me to come out there. He wanted me to be here in case the baby came. I know that I was able to take care of my Grammie by helping her poor body but that would have been humiliating to my Papa for me to see him like that. I would call my Papa almost every night since my Grammie passed and I saved all the messages he left me telling me he loved me. I can't play them right now, but I know I will be glad to have them later. The last time I was able to talk to him was three days ago. When he spoke to me, all that would come out was mumbling but I know he was telling me he loves me. I wish I had said so much more, but I wanted to appear strong for him. I love my Papa so much. I miss my Grammie terribly. How can the worst time of my life also be a time when we are expecting such a miracle? I so badly wished my Papa could have met Baby Girl and held her. I don't know what to do from here. I can't call him ever again. I still need my Papa and Grammie. When I think of him, I am still a little girl he holds high on his shoulders and takes around the yard in a wheel barrel. He used to play baseball with me in the back yard and he would stand right by the wall so I could hit a home run over the wall every time. :) I loved looking at his Marine tattoos and seeing his eyes lite up when he talked about his service in WWII. He was proud of his service medals and his purple heart. Most of all, I love how safe and secure I felt around him. My wonderful husband asked my Papa and Grammie for my hand in marriage and I am so grateful that he was so mindful of the role they played in my life. My mom is going to wait and have a double military ceremony for Papa and Grammie when we go out to California once Baby Girl is here and old enough to travel. I am so glad she is waiting for us. Today I am lost. If you know my mom, please give her a call. She has been taking care of Papa 24/7 and could use the support.

31 comments:

The A Team said...

i'm so sorry for your loss.

The A Team said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Janie said...

so sorry Lisa, nothing but prayers for your family!

Amanda said...

I am sorry to hear of your great loss.

Debbie said...

Oh I'm so sorry Lisa! Glad we have the eternal perspective the gospel gives us! You can totally do their temple work!! How special would that be...

Brianne said...

I'm so sorry, Lisa. Our prayers are with your family.

Lovely Lisa said...

So, so sorry, Lisa. Ditto to what Debbie said, though! You are in my prayers.

Amy said...

I'm sorry Lisa. :( I am sure you will see him again.

Juli said...

That is so wonderful that you are so close to your grandparents. I am so sorry for your loss.

Juli said...

That is so wonderful that you are so close to your grandparents. I am so sorry for your loss.

Jess said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Lisa. Both of my grandfathers passed long before I was born and so I'm glad that you had the opportunity to know yours and be close to him.

Kaylene said...

Oh Lisa! (((HUGS))) I'm so sorry.

RAL said...

I'm so sorry Lisa! I know how close you are to your Grammie and Papa. I know this will be a hard time for you but hang in there. I am glad that you have so many fond memories of them both. And it is very sweet of your mom to wait for you guys to come out to do the ceremony.

Laurie said...

You and your entire family are in my prayers, Lisa.

GsMomAswifey said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry. Hang in there. We are always here for you and your family.

Mandy said...

Lisa, I am so sorry for you loss. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, please let me know if there is anything I can do for you . . . :(

((HUGS))

Maria said...

Lisa, I am so sorry for your loss. You'e in my thoughts and prayers.

Jennifer said...

So sorry Lisa. I know this is killing you. I know you wanted to have your one last trip to see him. I know he is so excited for you growing family - he'll be watching. He won't miss it for anything :)

Love you. Hugs from me.

Eliza said...

Lisa- I am so sorry about your papa!!!Thinking of you!

Michele said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Just remember they are watching over you and proud of you. :-) And you will see them again! :-) HUGS to you.

Emily said...

I am so sorry for your loss!

chelle1113 said...

I am so sorry to hear about this Lisa.

On My Mind 24/7 said...

So sorry for your loss. Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time. Hugs.

My name is Andrea said...

I'm so sorry Lisa. I think he is probably with Baby Girl, giving her one more love and telling her what a wonderful family she is on her way to...
You and your family will be in our thoughts and prayers. Love you!

Mommyof3Texans said...

Oh sweetie, I am so sorry!!

Celeste Pacatte-Hoffman said...

Lisa, I am so sorry for your loss. I know how much your Papa (and Grammie) meant to you. I am praying for you and will think about you in the coming weeks. Try to stay strong for your self and your family. Love you girl!

E Thrizzle Hizzle said...

I love you Lisa and I love Papa. He was my papa too for the last decade. I learned so----o many lessons from him and I was also amazed to know that 1) He knew Everything about Everything and cared enough to share all of his knowledge with me "free of charge"; 2) He single-handedly won WWII, and 3) he loved you more than life.

He was a great man--not because of any of those things, but because as great as he was-- he humbled himself to listen to the promptings of the Holy Spirit. AND IT CHANGED HIS LIFE! He was definitely a model for how the carnal man can die in Christ and allow the spiritual man to live forever. He loved Christ with all of his heart and he has always loved you the same.

I know that you are distraught over his passing and miss him greatly, but I KNOW that we will see him and Grammie again. God promises it.

Love you

E

Gary Church said...

What a beautiful post! We'll be thinking and praying for your family. What a hard thing to go through. I'm so sorry!

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry Lisa. I know it was hard for you to lose both of them, and especially so close together. I think that your precious little girl that is on the way is coming in God's timing, to remind you that life does go on and that He hears your heart. Love you.

Shannon said...

I'm so sorry Lisa. I know it was hard for you to lose both of them, and especially so close together. I think that your precious little girl that is on the way is coming in God's timing, to remind you that life does go on and that He hears your heart. Love you.

Ranae said...

Thinking of you and bawling with you. I know there are no words to console you, just know that I am here if you need ANYTHING!

To go to the next page...

Click on "older posts" to your right. :) Enjoy!