Tuesday, June 16, 2009

To Honor My Grammie and Papa

I'm not sure what to say about this service. It didn't feel real and it still doesn't. It was a lovely service, but it feels like it was for other people. My Papa and Grammie are my beating heart. I said at the funeral that they were perfect. Not perfect people, but perfect FOR ME. My Papa was always rough and tough, but I KNEW he loved me unconditionally and everything he said or did was because he wanted everyone to be ok. Through his hard exterior, he was a teddy bear. He got me anything I wanted as a child and was always there with a warm hug and a kiss. He STILL did that during my adult years and told me he loved me every night. He would be proud of this funeral honoring his military service. His service in WWII and his Purple heart were the highlights of his life. My sweet Grammie is the reason I know love. I can NEVER love like her, she was perfect at loving. Most people thought she was a little mouse who listened to whatever my Papa said, but in reality, she ran the show. :) I knew to ask her first if I wanted something so she could make my Papa think that getting it for me was his idea. :) I miss her hands. Her hands were beautiful and they would always cup my face and tell me how beautiful I was (even though she was pushing my fat cheeks together making me look like an extra fat cabbage patch kid.) lol I was beautiful to her. She loved me always. Never a fleeting moment. She came from such a terrible childhood but still constantly served others and forgave with a religious passion.
To be without both of them a is a VERY sad, weird, traumatic transition in my life. It is my wonderful honor to have been able to name our baby after both of them. But again, this service didn't seem like it was for them. I guess it's because when I left the last time, they were both alive. I did NOT go to their house on this trip because I am not able to face seeing their home without them in it. One day I might process their loss, but not any time soon. For now, they are at home and I just can't talk to them. I guess that is true if you think of it in a spiritual way...
Below: Kaleb getting ready at the hotel
Above: My mom's childhood friend Linney
Please watch this short, but touching honor for my grandparents. Thanks.
Above: my mom's sister-in-law Babe with Angelina
Below: the first and only time the baby "met" my Papa & Grammie
Above: all that were in attendance. Below: the place where the service took place and the wall where my grandparents ashes are placed.
Below: Aunt Ginny with her husband Jack After the funeral my mom took everyone out to lunch.Below: Kaleb & Elena were dancing. :)


The kids love Aunt Michele!Below: Bittersweet pic for me because I used to watch Arron all the time when he was little. We made MANY of the traditions I now enjoy with my own kids. It is sooooo weird that now my little man is in high school and old enough to hold my other little man. I am old.

Below: Elena is taking care of "Baby Angie." That is the name she gave the baby. :)

Poopie misses Elena. I love this pic below because it seems like they both knew they would not see each other for a long time...

My mom with all of her grandchildren

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Everyone looks so beautiful, but I have to say your two little boys just look so handsome and grown up in those suits!!

Lovely Lisa said...

I agree-- everyone looks so nice!

I'm sorry you've had to experience that loss, Lisa. But it looks like it was a beautiful service.

Mandy said...

Well, I am all choked up now . . . I am so sorry for your loss. I know what it's like not to process a loss, I hope it gets easier soon!

To go to the next page...

Click on "older posts" to your right. :) Enjoy!